Take 20 minutes and be brutally honest with yourself and you will have a good idea the area of your mindset you need to improve on. Take your time and think each question through.
- Do I have a clear goal written down?
- Do I have a clear & specific action plan to improve in each area: Technical, Mindset, Nutrition, Strength/Conditioning that is written down?
- Do I take personal responsibility for my mistakes & weaknesses (or do I blame others)?
- Do I believe I am the most mentally tough person I have ever met?
- Do I go out of my way on a regular basis to wrestle better competition in practice & matches (or do I prefer to beat up on people worse than me to feel good about myself ie. Building a false sense of greatness)?
- Can I name the things get me fired up/inspired/motivated?
- Am I the most intense person I know?
- Is there a noticeable difference between the way I train and everyone else?
Relaxing under Pressure
- Do I feel great, energized, & awake before I step on the mat (as opposed to nervous, stressed, or tired)?
- Do I fall asleep without trouble the night before competitions?
- Can I name the things that suck the energy out of me?
- If I had to put my savings on it, do I believe I will accomplish my goal?
- Am I stubbornly Positive & Optimistic even when times are hard and when people around me are not?
- Do I take the many chances and risks when I compete and go for moves that I hit in practice?
- Do I know my “Go-To” moves in all common situations: #1 takedown, #1 turn on top, 1st move top, 1st move bottom, front headlock situation, mat return situation, clearing all opponents tie-ups on neutral, leg defense, funk situation, finishing takedowns, destroying the quad pod, etc.?
- When I compete, do I focus on scoring points in whatever position I am in (or do I think about the score, the time, the coaches, opponent, crowd, etc.?
- Can I name the situations that divert my attention from scoring points to winning/losing, looking bad, or anything other than scoring points?